For Immediate Release
Six-Mile Long Art Festival and Ice Cream Social To Be Held In North Central Corridor This August
Free Event Will Celebrate The Missouri Bicentennial with Music, Live Performances, and Locally Made Ice Cream
Hodiamont Greenway Street Art Festival & Ice Cream Social
Saturday, August 7, 2021 • 10am–2pm
The Hodiamont Tracks (between Delmar Loop and Grand Center)
FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
ST. LOUIS, MO — The Hodiamont Greenway Street Art Festival and Ice Cream Social will bring artists, arts organizations, local businesses, social services, and more together for a celebration of the unique history of the neighborhood and the state of Missouri. Festivities include Jazz, Blues and Ragtime musicians, arts organizations from Grand Center and the Delmar Loop, performances from Circus Harmony and Shakespeare Festival, a children’s parade, chalk art, and more. And, of course, there will be plenty of ice cream in honor of our state dessert, the ice cream cone, first popularized by the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis. The unique event will span across the entire Hodiamont Greenway (formerly the Hodiamont Tracks) between the Delmar Loop and Grand Center. Participating organizations and artists include:
- St. Louis Public Library: performances of Meet Me In St. Louis, originally written and set in the Academy neighborhood
- “Stop The Bleed” and “I Define ME” mobile outreach vans.
- Social Justice Fleet pop-up exhibit
- Forgiveness Quilt art-activism project
- Story Corps history project pop ups
- Great Rivers Greenway will be presenting their design plan for the Hodiamont Greenway and taking community input
- Grills to Glory Initiative BBQs at several neighborhood churches
- Story Stitchers at Strauss Park
- Consuming Kinetics Dance Company Children’s Street Dance Festival at Urban League Head Start.
- Big Muddy Dance Company
- Magic House at MADE
- Circus Harmony
- Shakespeare Festival
- People’s Joy Parade
- Trailnet will be hosting a Bike Rodeo with a children’s bike safety clinic
- Union Avenue Opera
- Ice cream from Bold Spoon Creamery and Baked Bear Ice Cream Sandwiches
This event is presented by the St. Louis Arts Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with Resident Leaders from the 7 Together Neighborhoods: Covenant Blu Grand Center, Vandeventer, Lewis Place, Fountain Park, Visitation Park, Academy Sherman, and West End, and made possible with support from the Delmar Divine, Missouri 2021 and other sponsors and partners.
Neighborhood residents are anticipating this opportunity to share and celebrate the work being done by community organizations. “Seven neighborhoods are showing signs of a resurgence,” says community leader Judith Arnold. “The new greenway on tap is one example. None of this would have been possible without resident involvement led by the lady leaders of the community. The eyes of St. Louis are on these 7 North Central neighborhoods. We are grateful for the partnership with the St. Louis Arts Chamber of Commerce as we continue to rebuild our neighborhoods.”
About the St. Louis Arts Chamber of Commerce: Established in 2018, the St. Louis Arts Chamber is a membership-based collaborative of artists and patrons who are committed to establishing the greater St. Louis region as a premier arts destination. An advocate for all genres and mediums of the arts, the Arts Chamber aims to build a strong network of individuals and organizations with a shared interest in supporting professional growth, artistic expression, and community engagement.